Latest News and Events
Public Health Ontario (PHO) has several resources that cover the underlying principles of reprocessing, applicable to all community-based clinics and dental practices performing minor procedures.
The website contains helpful information and resources for:
- PAC practices specifically targeted at IPAC for Clinical Office Practice settings
- Investigation and prevention of IPAC lapses in community settings
- Reprocessing guidance in any health care setting
Online learning. Our Reprocessing in Community Health Care Settings has nine modules, each one requiring 15-30 minutes. It provides an overview of best practice principles related to reprocessing:
- Introduction to Reprocessing
- Personal Protective Equipment for Reprocessing
- Pre-cleaning, Cleaning and Post-cleaning
- Packaging for Sterilization
- Loading a Sterilizer
- Steam Sterilization
- Unloading a Sterilizer
- Transportation and Storage
- Inspections and audits: The Reprocessing of Medical Equipment/Devices in Clinical Office Practice, Endoscopy in Clinical Office Practice, IPAC core elements in dental practice settings , and Reprocessing in dental practice settings
- Self-assessment: The Checklist for Reprocessing for office staff to evaluate their cleaning, disinfection and sterilizations practices
- Purchasing a Table-top Steam Sterilizer: outlines key factors to consider when making decisions about purchasing this equipment.
Best practice guidance.
- The Best Practices for Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization of Medical Equipment/Devices In All Health Care Settings document describes essential elements and methods in the safe handling, monitoring and auditing, transportation and biological decontamination of contaminated medical equipment/devices.
- The Infection Prevention for Control in Clinical Office Practice addresses general infection prevention and control practices including reprocessing.
Tools and Resources. Several tools and resources are available to assist you in performing reprocessing activities:
- High-Level Disinfection Log and Sterilization Monitoring Log for Table-top Steam Sterilizers forms can used to record process parameters and will assist with tracking devices in the event of a recall.
- The Reprocessing Steps poster outlines key components in each of the cleaning, disinfection, sterilization and storage of medical instruments/devices. Visit the websites referenced above for additional tools and resources.
Recommendations for Education, Training and Certification for Reprocessing offers additional guidance about important considerations for health care staff and facilities performing reprocessing activities.
Reprocessing Workshops. We've designed a workshop to build on the foundations covered in our online modules (pre-requisite). The availability of this workshop will vary region-to-region, and specific communication will be sent to you inviting your participation if one is held in your area. You can also check the PHO Events webpage to see where workshops are being held across the province. Workshop dates and locations will be determined in the coming weeks. The workshops cover:
- Appropriate medical equipment/device/instrument reprocessing of in Clinical Office Practice.
- Outcomes of improper reprocessing practices (lapse investigations and risk assessments).
- Appropriate education and training in reprocessing practices requirements.
- Available PHO reprocessing resources and tools.